– a herbal mushroom known to have miraculous health benefits. The reishi mushroom is a purplish-brown fungus with a long stalk, brown spores, and a fan-shaped cap with a shiny, varnish-coated appearance.
– Reishi grows on decaying wood or tree stumps, preferring the Japanese plum tree but also found on oak.
– The mushroom is native to China, Japan, and North America but is cultivated throughout other Asian countries.
Ganoderma Lucidum ( Chin. : 靈芝)
– Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum), commonly known as Ling Zhi in Chinese
– Reishi has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for more than 4,000 years for treating fatigue, asthma, cough, and liver ailments, and to promote longevity.
– The Chinese name lingzhi means “herb of spiritual potency.”
– A Japanese name for the reishi is mannentake, meaning “10,000-year-old mushroom.”
– Reishi’s use is documented in the oldest Chinese medical text, which is more than 2,000 years old.
– modern studies have positively linked reishi mushrooms to certain life-span expansion, namely due to the impressive polysaccharide content of these fungi. This is accomplished by boosting the health of the immune system and preventing certain abnormal blood vessel formations.
– Furthermore, certain antioxidant properties of other organic compounds in reishi mushrooms neutralize free radicals, which can cause chronic diseases and premature aging.
– Cancer Prevention and Treatment: There are thousands of active studies on cancer, A handful of those studies have also focused on reishi mushrooms and it has ben determined that the triterpenoids found in reishi mushrooms have the ability to reduce the metastasis of cancerous cells and prevent tumor growth.
– Furthermore, a second study found that the active ingredients of reishi mushroom extract can seek out and neutralize cancerous cells within the body.
– Reishi may also provide hepatoprotective action, antiviral activity, and beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, and diabetes. Few clinical trials have been conducted.
– Detoxify the Body: Studies have linked reishi mushroom extracts to faster regeneration of healthy liver cells and a release of free radicals that have built up in that organ, thereby promoting overall health and wellness in our system.
– Cognitive Disorders: Neurological diseases can be some of the most painful and unsolvable mysteries in human health, and for cognitive disorders like Alzheimer’s or Huntington’s disease, research has shown that the extracts in reishi mushrooms can stimulate cognitive activity and display certain neuroprotective effects, particularly in the stimulation of nerve growth factor, which is a key part of health cognitive function.
– Anti-Inflammatory Qualities: One of the most important side effects of reishi mushroom extracts is its anti-inflammatory capacity.
– This is partially why it can help with cognitive disorders, by increasing the amount of blood flow to the brain, but for people suffering from arthritis or gout, reishi extracts can also be helpful.
– By reducing inflammation, reishi mushrooms have also been relied on for headaches and injury healing.
– Respiratory Conditions: For those suffering from asthma, bronchitis, or other chronic respiratory conditions, reishi mushroom extract can have a strong effect on reducing irritation and eliminating the allergic reactions from this part of the body.
– By preventing the release of histamine from mast cells in the body, reishi mushrooms prevent allergic reactions, from mild skin irritation to potentially life-threatening anaphylaxis.
– High Blood Pressure: Reishi mushrooms have been proven to improve the efficiency of blood flow to the heart and lower blood pressure;
– it also reduces the amount of oxygen consumed in the heart, meaning that there is more oxygenation for the rest of the body and organ systems.
– Furthermore, certain elements of reishi mushroom extract can reduce the level of “bad” cholesterol in your system, further protecting you from strokes and heart attacks.
– Immune modulator – regulates and fine tunes the immune system.